Tuesday, October 7, 2008

First Blood

And no I am not talking about the Sly Stallone movie. If you have never heard of this movie, don't tell me either I know I am old.

Motherhood is filled with alot of firsts: the first born, the first smile, the first step, the first time they say mama! These are all wonderful firsts that we record and talk about. There are others firsts that happen as well. The first time they fall, the first time they scratch their knees and the first time they bleed and don't stop. On Sunday we had our first bloody mouth. We were at a gymnastics gym for a friends 2nd birthday and my little monkey was upto his usual tricks, climbing up everything that could be climbed. Unfortunately for him, he slipped on some steps and wacked his mouth and nose pretty hard. We now have 2 shirts that are covered in blood stains and a little boy with a swollen bruised lip. I have to say watching blood gush out your childs mouth is a bit freaky, but it slowly stopped bleeding and he slowly stopped crying. Then like a good little monkey that will not let anything get the best of him, once the pain stopped and he felt OK to play, he ran right back to those stairs and climbed them again.
This child is going to be the death of me.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

It sounds like your little monkey made it through that first all right. And I'd expect nothing less from the monkey than perseverance. :-)

Marimoy said...

Reading that gave me gray hair. Yikes!

The bean-mom said...

Oh god, I'm sorry. Nothing like watching your child bleed.

Glad he's okay. My kids have taken some knocks, but nothing too traumatic to the mouth area (yet).

EcoGeoFemme said...

Oh, poor monkey! It sounds like you handled it well, not freaking out or anything. Do you read Adventures in Applied Math? She posted a similar story a few months ago.

This morning I saw a man pushing a little girl (~1.5-2 years old) in an umbrella stroller. She wasn't strapped in and she was twisted around to face the man. The stroller hit a bump so it stopped but she kept going. I watched her fall and smack her head on the concrete as if it were in slow motion. The man scooped her up and had it under control (I don't think she was really hurt), but he should really strap her in! It freaked me out.

ScientistMother said...

Amanda - I often wonder where he gets that stubbornness, sorry perseverance from!

Mimi - I am pretty sure I've gotten a few grey hairs

Bean-Mom - oddly watching my child bleed wasn't as bad as watching him sink to the bottom of a pool - his near drowning was way more traumatic.

EcoGeoFemme - Monkey has been known to twist out of the belts holding him to the stroller and to stand up and face me. He usually does that when he either want out to go play with a random dog or to get to the play area we are walking by