Friday, June 27, 2008

The winner for best drama is....

Is it just my research institute or is every research institute all about the drama?? I normally try to keep head down so that I'm not swept up into the vortex, but sometimes I just want to spank everyone. I don't know if its because I'm old compared to some of the people, or because I am a mom but I have zero patience for hyperbole coupled with hypocrisy. A new PI will be joining "great" institute, this as been common knowledge for a few months now, however our brilliant leaders have failed to figure out where new PI (NPI) is to go - as in NPI currently has no designated office or bench space and there is currently no empty bench or office space. No problem for our fearless leaders, they simply choose to ignore the issue until NPI come by to scope out the place and figure out exactly what will go where and what they need to apply to granting agencies for. Obviously some moving is going to have to take place and those pions on the lower end of the ladder (post-docs in this case) are going to be the ones moving, which everyone understands. So lets be clear, no one is upset that they have to move, they are upset that NPI came told them they're getting kicked out of there as apposed to our fearless leaders. I agree that this is annoying and proper communication leads to better work environments. The post-docs are now kicking 2 grad students out of another office so they can take it over, fair enough if you believe in the whole place in the ladder business, however one of those grad students is a visiting student - co-supervised by one of the PI in the building but not officially a student at our university. This is where the hypocrisy come in, grad belonging to our uni was approached about being kicked out prior to the decision being made, but apparently visiting grad student does not need to be communicated with because he/she is not part of our institute (despite working here for 2 years and being co-supervised by a institute PI). I'm sorry but apparently I have forgotten that I am attending high school. Geez seriously people am I CRAZY for thinking intelligent people can actually behave intelligently???!!!!**

If either physio prof or drug monkey are reading this - I guess your answer would be yes?

1 comment:

Mad Hatter said...

Sigh...people can be morons, advanced education and degrees notwithstanding....