Monday, May 10, 2010

Bittersweet Additions

As you know, we recently added a brand spanking new dog to our family. We purchased a female purebred German Shepherd from a "reputable" breeder, who was > a year old. As much as I would love to rescue a dog from the pound, my last experience with doing that was less than pleasant. When I did that, I adopted a dog under the presumption that he was ~3 years old, healthy and ready to be a running partner. I had the pound send me the vet records, which stated he had been checked and xrayed for hip issues. A week after we adopted him, we took him to our vet and found out he was double digits in age, had cataracts and major hip problems. Mr.SM's attitude is that when you adopt children, you don't return them if they have issues and same goes for pets. We made the best of the situation, gave the dog lots of love and he loved >5 years. Four more than the vet thought he would.

Since we weren't going to go the pound route for the above reason plus the facts its hard to find dogs from the pound that are good with kids, we went the breeder route. I wanted to make sure we found a breeder that wasn't a puppy mill, someone that treated their animals well, was breeding only 1 time a year etc. I went to the CKC to find a list of registered breeders t called around a few of them, looking for a non-puppy and was recommended to the breeder I picked by another breeder. I figured when a community member recommends another community member, its a good sign. This particular breeder was also a member of the executive for the provincial GSD club, what I thought was another good sign.

Unfortunately there are some issues. It should've been a red flag when s/he stated that the available dog was not registered. S/he was completely honest that when the litter was born, s/he did not have the time to deal with the animals appropriately and did what should never be done. S/he kept the sibling together all the time and did not socialize the dogs which is why s/he didn't register them. As result of the lack of socialization, our dog is fearful of new surroundings and is somewhat aloof, but also very gentle. Again, the fact the this individual was very honest about the lack of socialization, admitted to being a bad dog owner in term of keeping the sibling together I though was a good sign. When I first saw SMDog, I thought she was underweight, but the breeder said it was because she was just finishing her growth stage and would fill out now. Everything seem OK and after thinking about it >1 month (looking for at other dogs) we decided that yes this was the dog for us. However, now that we have our little gal, I have feeling I was not told everything. SMdog is underweight, is experiencing diarrhea, eating her own poop and has a significant lack of confidence. I've request vet records and haven't heard anything. I called this morning to find out more about the GI issues but haven't got a call back.

I'm OK with the fact that SMDog isn't "perfect". If it ends up that there are health issues that s/he knew about, I'm not going to return the dog. Monkeyboy is in love with her and I don't have the heart to take his BFF away. I do want to know what is known and what isn't known. There is no reason to duplicate tests or go on a big problem solving adventure if s/he has the answers. I also know that if I had gotten a puppy instead of older dog there would've been issues / problems as well. Even at the puppy stage you can't guarentee that the dog won't end up having GI issues and you have no idea what the personality will turn out to be. SMDog is already improving in spades through twice daily walks, obedience training etc. I have strongly believe that she will have a the confidence and courage of the typical GSD after a year of hard work. What I'm not sure about is the health. We've upped her food from the recommend 2.5 cups / day to 4 cups a day. We're supplementing with brown rice and sweet potatoe to control the diarrhea and are using Forbid to try to nip the poop eating. We're currently using Healthwise Lamb and oatmeal. I have never used fancy smancy food like this before. I'm IAMS / EUKANEBA type of Gal. Any recommendations on food? No the breeder did not give me food to when we picked up the dog, but s/he did apologize for that.

I'm more upset with myself for not asking more questions, requesting the vet records before I took the dog, for possibly supporting an unethical breeder - something I was trying really hard to avoid.....

6 comments:

FrauTech said...

You really are doing the right thing, and it's so easy with big decisions like this to see all the signs afterward, so stop blaming yourself for that. It's funny you getting a german shepherd, I know some people who tried to sell/give away their 7 y/o shepherd once the woman got pregnant over concerns about the dog being good with kids or being jealous of attention given to the kid. I just thought that was cruel to abandon a dog after 7 years for something you must have known you were planning on doing.

Alyssa said...

I think you're doing a wonderful thing, and I hope you can find out if there are any health concerns.

At some point, we also want to get a dog, and are leaning toward a German Shepard for the exact reasons you say.

Good luck and I really look forward to hearing updates!

queerscientist said...

Sounds like you are doing everything right! Sometimes dogs have digestive issues due to stressful events, so those might settle out on their own once your dog is feeling confident and secure. I feed my dog Innova brand dog food, but that is primarily of her skin issues.

ScientistMother said...

FrauTech - Thanks for the encouragement. You are very right, hindsight is 20/20. I think it can be very hard when someone has a pet and then a child. We had to put our dog down after the monkey was born as he was very jealous, to the point that monkey wasn't safe. I would prefer that your friend had at least gave the dog a chance

Alyssa - Mr.SM loves GSD's. I easily could get a chocolate lab too.

queerscientist - Welcome to the blog! I'm hoping that time will help with digestive issues..we'll see. I'm going to give it a month to see if she's gaining weight etc. If she isn't improving, I'll take a stool sample to the vet.

microbiologist xx said...

I applaud your efforts to find a good breeder due to the experiences I've had with a cat I rescued from a bad breeder. A couple of years ago we adopted two bengal cats (a mama and her kitten) that were rescued from a breeder that was being closed down by the SPCA for over-crowding. The mama cat was a "breeder" and never socialized to be around humans. She was basically kept pregnant and spent her life in a cage. When we got her we also ended up taking the one surviving kitten from her last litter. (She was preggo when they removed all the animals and the stress of the situation caused her to go into early labor and all of her other kittens died. We initially were only going to adopt the mama as we were interested in getting only one cat, but how in the hell was I not going to take the kitten after hearing that sad story.) Anyway, we took them to the vet where we found both cats had a raging case of ring worm and the mama's fur was stained with urine as she was apparently not kept in a clean cage. In addition her coat looked horrible due to a lack of nutrition. She was terrified of us for months and would run away if we got too close. Three years later she likes to be around us and will let us pet her, but we can't pick her up or she will freak. It's kind of a bummer, but she is still a sweet cat and we are glad that we have her. The progress we make with her is satisfying although it's slow. I wish someone would shove that breeder in a cage and make her sleep in her own urine.
As far as pet food goes, I do have a suggestion. We fed this to our cat for a short time per the suggestion of our vet. It's called Hills Perscription Diet (http://www.hillspet.com/products/prescription-diet.html) and they make food for dogs too. The food is expensive but it is almost completely absorbed by the animal, so it might help with digestive issues. Also there shouldn't be a lot of waste for her to eat. (Seriously, one can of this cat food resulted in one very small cat BM.) There are several varieties. Maybe your vet could suggest one of them for your dog. Once the digestive issues are resolved you can start slowly adding back the IAMs or whatever food you prefer. I am not a vet, so I would check with them before you make any changes in the diet.
Good luck and sorry about the marathon comment.

ScientistMother said...

MicroXX - don't worry about the marathon comment, I appreciate the insight. The diarrhea could be caused by a number of things, stress from the move, stress from changing her food, worms, eating her own poop OR an underlying condition. Since she's not losing weight, I don't think its an underlying condition. We're going to tackle each thing at a time so that we can isolate it. Because changing food itself can cause issues, I'm going to do that last. I'm hoping that the Forbid will stop her from eating her own poop, which is step 1. I'm now going to de worm her and give her some probiotics to increase her "good" gut bacteria. We'll have to wait a couple weeks to see if she starts gaining weight. The upside is that she's reduced the frequency of BM's and now only every other BM or 1/4 BM's are loose...