Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Overwhelmed

Last week I had my pre-meeting. We discussed the main themes for my comprehensives. Can anyone say freaking wide open spaces????? The general topics are huge, things that I haven't looked at since undergrad. Seriously so much as changed that I've been told my old Alberts Molecular Biology of the cell is outdated. Not outdated as in all textbooks are outdated, but outdated as in no longer a good starting point for a new topic as in the overviews and general concepts are no longer true. fuck me. must go bury my head into EGFR signaling, Src Kinase / tyrosine kinase papers. URGH.

3 comments:

chall said...

oh, I understand that it must feel a bit much but remember that you have all the basics and more importantly, you have the map and where it leads - all you might need to do is refresh some sideroads and parks on the side.

You'll do fine. Just don't panic!

chall said...

and refresh here means "exchange old school things for new data that's been published the last couple of years to show you can read papers"

Isis the Scientist said...

Hang in there. Eventually they'll ask you don't know, but know as much as you can in the meantime.

XOXOXOX