Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Don't want to jinx it

Which is why I haven't posted about how the interview process went with the lab. I found out tomorrow if I get to choose between this PI and option 1 (who is out of town again). Not sure if I mentioned that I went to her Lab Orientation last week. Needless to say, as in every lab there are some difficult personalities, but each and everyone answered the following questions in the same way. What are the lab dynamics like? Is the lab social? Supportive? Encouraging? The answers?

Good, no, yes, and yes. You will get all the tools and help you need if you ask. I think that is key.

I get frustrated when people except to hold your hand. I was annoyed about a lot of thinks about PhD Lab (so don't know what to call it any more!), but one of the big ones was that when I asked for help, I wasn't getting it. Which is CrAZY! If you ask for a protocol for a specific experiment and the person who is the expert doesn't give it to you with all the necessary information (ie what antibodies to use and what concentrations with what controls), like PP with his first recipe. I shouldn't have to go back to you over and over for information you should have been given in the first place. Nor should I have to waste my time reinventing the protocol if you have one. It is inefficient use of my time and lab resources.

Anyways my point being was that everyone seemed quite nice and friendly. Especially family friend.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Former GradAdvisor emailed saying he gave a glowing reference and hoped I kicked ass.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just couldn't resist slagging my fucking amuse bouche, huh?

ScientistMother said...

PP - I wasn't slagging you amuse bouche, learn to fucking read. I was slagging you inadequate recipe as it lacked critical information. I actually quite liked your amuse bouche. You are more than welcome to come over and prepare for me. I will ply you with wine and let you know how much I mouth appreciates it.

Anonymous said...

YAY! I've been on the edge of my seat wondering how Monday went. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

The bean-mom said...

Awesome, Scientistmother! I know all about the fear of jinxing something =) Keeping my fingers crossed for you, too.