Professionalism is rare, when you find it getting into the lab is very difficult.
- Almost all PI's bitch about one student to the other student
- Even the ones that believe its not sink or swim in their lab, it is sink or swim
- You either are independent or micro-managed
- Good Science is hard to find
- No one is perfect
- The lab personal can determine the atmosphere of the lab
- Starting in a lab where everyone is finishing is bad
- Starting in a lab where everyone is starting can be hit or miss
- Even the "Good Mentors" have bad traits
- If you can't teach yourself to cook, you might as well get out of the Kitchen
If you're a student, go visit Dr. Isis's post on reading lists. I will go listen to her great advice now.