Thursday, August 21, 2008

GRRR!!!!

I have lamented in the comments of a few different blogs on how I miss running. I used to be super duper active before the monkey came along and even did a CRAZY hike that was 2.9 km with an elevation gain of 853 meters (1.8 miles, 2800 feet for you non-metric readers). I did the hike in under 2 hours while 5 months prego. I was very happy with both my physical fitness and appearance.
With all the crap that has been going on with regards to my grad studies it is not hard to see that I've been in a bit of a slump. The unhappiness that I've felt in my now old lab I think was just part of the unhappiness that I have been feeling with myself in regards to my overall lack of good health and physical strength. The mister and I have been having some tension over this as well. Most of it, I think, stems from his frustration with my physical weakness and he thinks that I am not doing anything to change or fix the situation. I would like to point out that he is right in that aspect. I haven't been doing anything about it, but it wasn't due to a lack of desire. It was putting everything else as a more important priority. So when Dr.Isis called me out and asked to hear about my return to running, I decided to start putting myself first. I went for a run and it was a bit of a disaster, in the I can not run for more then 5 minutes disaster. Which is when I realized the other thing that was keeping me back. The frustration of not being able to run for 45 minutes like before.
That day I made the decision to start power walking and to work toward the goal of running a half marathon. This goal was put on hold with with monkey being sick at home.
Well today, on my second day of being home without the monkey, I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill. Since running on a treadmill is way easier than running on the road I was able to run at a decent pace for 15 minutes. I was really happy with how the run was going when the treadmill stopped. Dead. Communication error was what the display said and I just had to hit enter for it to resume. Despite almost falling off when the treadmill stopped unexpectedly, I hit resume and was soon back into a really really good rhythm. I was feeling so good that at the 19 minute mark I increased both the duration of the run and the incline. Just when Karma Chameleon came on to get me going for the extra 10 minutes, urging me to try and run 5 km the stupid treadmill stopped. Dead. Unexpectedly. I pulled my back when I stopped myself from falling off. Ruining my run. Which is really annoying because after culture club I have Franz Ferdinand and the Killers which really really keep me moving. GRRRRR!

7 comments:

microbiologist xx said...

I hate it when I have quit running unexpectedly. It is almost impossible to get back into the zone.
and Which Killers?

ScientistMother said...

Microbi - great to meet you! Mr.Brightside was the Killers song, I do have to update my IPOD though, the olympic commercials have me craving, I got soul but I"m not a soldier.

Marimoy said...

At least you are putting a wholehearted effort into this.... I would have beat the treadmill up though.

microbiologist xx said...

I saw that commercial for the first time this week. I was very pleased that they used the actual song instead of getting some studio musician to butcher it. AND...They picked the best part of the song!

ScientistMother said...

mimi - I have not choice but to continue thanks to dr.isis and myself for putting the goal out there. I hate not doing something I said I would...

microbi - yes they did use the best part, but then Nike has always been ahead of the game in terms of advertising

ScienceGirl said...

Glad you are sticking to this despite the setbacks!

Amanda said...

That stinks about the treadmill. I would have definitely fallen! But I am proud of you for sticking with this!